Sunday, March 29, 2009

Things Emirati




















We asked our
students to talk for 3 minutes about an item connected with Emirati culture. In the pictures you'll see a burka, the mask worn by many Emirati grandmas when they're out in the streets, a traditional coffee pot with coffee beans and the saffron and cardamom used to spice their coffee, a sweet fried food with sesame flavor called Ghemat, traditional clothes for men called 'Bisht', as well as a lady's housedress and a child's 'dressup' clothes, the process of applying henna (to me), an incense burner with some very expensive wood incense from India, as well as the noseplugs worn by pearl fishers with the tiny pearls someone's grandfather found himself. In fact, before oil was discovered, the main livelihoods here were pearl diving and date cultivation.

Though we thought the gals were tired of this year's theme of 'Proudly Emirati', they (and I) really enjoyed the project, especially since the usual 'no food' rules could be broken for the sake of an educational project.

5 comments:

Jill Swick said...

Your mom and I are blogging together...It's tech support morning.

Angie Brady said...

Jill is helping me figure out posting so I can write a comment.
Mom

Jill Swick said...

I am happy to report your mother is successfully able to Blog with you now... You can thank me later!!! HAHAHA

Angie Brady said...

Well, I made it! Jill walked me through the blogging process. I reset my password.
So...I have been checking daily to keep abreast of your Emirate experience. I love every bit of your cultural imersion. You have made all of us a little more global in our thinking. Yeah!!! I'm not sure that my nose would be compatable with that head/nose piece. Going back a bit....the mosque photos were magnificent.
You look very pretty dressed in the Arab/Muslim attire....That's the Mom talking. The brown hair is a new look. You look more like the rest of your family. I'll bet Rosie loves it. Mom

Daphne said...

Great pictures. That coffee looks exotic and yummy. Love the henna too. Is it the pics or is your hair darker in the UAE? You look terrific!