Friday, May 22, 2009

Staying out of Trouble, Mostly...

Mid-East Police, Part II

I knew there was a reason we hardly set foot on Sharjah's beaches, even though they're only ten minutes from home. We've settled in to a routine of heading to beaches in Dubai instead, as those beaches are a lot cleaner and I've managed not to have any run-ins with the Dubai police because of my style of swimwear.

But I had a lapse in judgement this morning, when I agreed to meet up with Svetlana, Brady's friend's mom at the long stretch of public beach in Sharjah next to the exclusive Sharjah Ladies Club. If we didn't have our boy children with us, we could have checked into the ladies club, where the beach is immaculate, secluded, and yes, all-female. However, I not only had the boys along, but Billy as well and I thought hey, if Brady's pal's family hangs out there, it can't be that bad. So we located our friends at the beach, a gorgeous Russian women in a bikini with her brood (It should be noted that because of her American husband who looks a lot like mine, brown and mysteriously ethnic, her kids might pass for locals, as mine do if they simply don't speak).

It didn't take me long though to notice that all the other beach-goers were Muslim families or modest East Asian families. I know you're thinking, not for the first time, 'Shame on you Yuppie Expat flouting local traditions', but seriously, it was over 100 degrees, the water was at least 85 and beckoning, and hey, this Emirate is more than 50% immigrant anyway. But as I said, I was having a big episode of poor judgement, and maybe even experiencing a little bit of peer pressure. So as the kids ran towards the water, I dropped our gear and peeled off my sundress to reveal what I feel is a fairly modest Speedo bathing suit, and then, as if on cue, the Sharjah Police Landcruiser rolled up, its windows rolled down, with Emirati Police Guys inside shouting 'NOT ALLOWED, LADIES COVER UP'. They rolled to a stop, and patiently waited, and watched, as we peeled our sundresses back on.

Svetlana, who's been here longer than I have, grumbled 'stupid Sharjah, stupid stupid sharjah' (in her Ukranian accent), while I, coming back to my senses said, look, it is their country after all, this is Sharjah, we know the deal, we know the rules, shame on us really.

Of course this set the tone for the rest of our beach visit. But as I said, it was over 100 degrees and the kids had no reason to be annoyed with our plight, and so we settled in, and swam as the locals do, in our clothes.

4 comments:

Jill Swick said...

I will take you to Oak Street Beach as soon as you get here to make up for it ok??? And you can wear a two piece....

saluki mom said...

Sorry you didn't have a good experience at that beach. However, there is another stretch of beach area near the aquarium. It is next to a hotel on that road. (Cant think of the name of it) I've been there many times and there are usually lots of europeans and tourists that are wearing bikinis. Granted, some of them SHOULDN'T be wearing a bikini. I've never seen any of the police say anything to them. The beach is not as clean as Dubai's but it is closer.

I enjoy your blog. I can relate to most of your posts because I just moved here with my family from US this past August. You've got to laugh at most of the things you see here - or you'd go crazy. That's my perspective anyways.

Stay cool.

Daphne said...

When we visit in Chicago I will expect you to wear nothing but bikinis to make up for it. I'm open-minded like that...!

Angie Brady said...

I recall two Muslim women participating in the Chicago Triathlon two years ago. Their swim wear consisted of a blousy light weight long sleave top and blousy long pants. They were wearing a scarf head piece close to their heads. Their swim clothing did not appear to impair their swimming. They had a very large Muslim group of family & friends cheering them on. As they exited the water I was very touched by the way they were fully involved in everyday life here in the US...in their own way. Yes, it appeared that they were having a really great time. So, my advise...bite the bullit and have a good time wearing whatever the law allows. The swim suit is only a few ounces of the whole experience.