Thursday, October 22, 2009

"You are Naughty Madam"

Someone saw me moaning on Facebook last week about my fatigue, and our sick kids and Billy travelling for work, and they said to me, 'Don't you have a helper?'

The embarrassing thing is that yes, I do have a helper, a fantastic young smiley Sri Lankan helper who lives with us, packs lunch boxes, looks after our kids, does laundry, buys groceries, cooks our dinners and pulls the weeds from our tiny garden without being asked. She even said to me one recent Saturday morning, her day off, 'You are naughty madam', when she awoke to find I had washed the morning dishes. How dare me!

I honestly don't know what I'll do when I get back to America one day, where a nanny costs double-digits per hour, cleaning ladies are a true luxury and gardeners are deemed an indulgence. Seriously, the stress I feel at my college, which is basically an arm of the Islamic government, and the rage I often feel on the reckless and dangerous roads is real, warranted, and a veritable cause for lost sleep and many a new fine line on my face.

But the reality is, I do have good help and when it's time for bed-time stories with the kids, I can totally sink into the pillows with kids and books, and give myself completely to that coziest of parental tasks, knowing that the kitchen is being tidied and laundry getting put away. How totally lucky am I.

3 comments:

COEP89Mech said...

I happen to be raised like that with someone helping my mom all the time. As a part of moving to america, I end up becoming that Srilankan lady and still with the great roads and best car, I have a wife who is sleepless due to worries of economic crisis. I wanted to focus on my work more and hence asking you intricacies of life in UAE. some down to earth questions for the upbringing of children there. lemme know.

Christina Brady said...

to COEP89Mech,
Am happy to answer your intricate questions, if I can.
Fire away!

COEP89Mech said...

Sorry my blogger name is shown as COEP89Mech ( my alumni id). It is associated with me (Vividh Thorat). I had questions on women lib. as my wife accused of that country not having so much rights and also specially with my indian ethnicity, she thinks that it is ok when we first move there, but once they understand we are actually from India, the treatment is different from people there. I sit true?