Sunday, November 2, 2008

UAE Halloween

Good Americans love Halloween, and the really good Americans know where to find pumpkins, and have pumpkin carving kits in their kitchens. After paying about $30 for a smallish imported American pumpkin, I got a tip from a colleague that the fruit and veg markets have local gourds that can pass for pumpkins. With this info, Billy went out and found a two dollar and three dollar pumpkin to round out our project. This same colleague also lent us her special carving kit, complete with safe tools and stencils, so we were really able to get creative this year, without cutting off any small child's fingers.

Check out our slide show to see the kids in Japanese traditional costumes, our pumpkins and carving activities, and men and boys praying in the parking lot where we bought candy for the Halloween party. You'll also see the house of a Canadian family where we trick-or-treated all of their doors, and the kids got wild and crazy with their plastic samurai swords.

See, we haven't gone completely native..

4 comments:

Darsantre said...

Oh it looks like you all had a GREAT Halloween! I loved the picts, esp the lighted pumpkin picts.

Connie and John said...

You know how I love Halloween, so I am very happy to see that the little kiddies got to experience it UAE style. The pumpkins and children look great. Loved the pictures! Love, Connie

Ella said...

Hi - I would love to hear your comments regarding the election - media coverage, general thoughts, what it was like to be away during this time, etc... We miss you and hope you guys are having a fantastic time. Alicia

a clicker and a shipper said...

Hi,

I am a fellow UAE expat and I've been looking for some nice pumpkins to use as thanksgiving decor. I googled pumpkins & uae and it brought me to your page. I was wondering if you might tell me which of the local markets you found your pumpkins at?

Thanks,

Jenna Owens