Thursday, August 21, 2008

Arabian Harvest








The kids and Grandma have been here three days and we've experienced three regional foods since then: dates, olives and camel milk.

Dates: Liam and Gram harvested dates from our tree, while Brady preferred to stay indoors and build castles with the giant appliance boxes I put in the dining hall with tape and rope. The date palm tree only fruits once a year and the locals pick and freeze the fruit and bake with them throughout the year - so we decided to do the same.

Olives: Olives are served with everything called 'Arabian', such as Arabian salad or Arabian breakfast, and they're available in staggering variety in big pails in their own section at the supermarket. Here in my kitchen I've got green ones from Jordan and black ones from Lebanon. The prices at the store are less than half of what you'd pay in an American grocery store and the variety is amazing.

Camel Milk: My local grocer has a big dairy section, a whole third of which is devoted to camel milk. I haven't gotten courage to take photographs there yet, as it is crowded with local women, mostly in traditional clothes, and I'm not sure whether I'd cause offense. I did snap a picture of the milk once I got it home and we had a good talk about the qualities of this 'alternative milk' over dinner. Brady says it vanilla-ey, or like soy milk, Gram says it seems grainy. I think it's best mixed into my coffee. Liam said no thanks to the local item, claiming loyalty to the stuff that comes from cows.

2 comments:

Jill Swick said...

Please advise that the milk is pasteurized. How are the cookies? Have you found a good pizza place? I will have to start sending you recipes from Cooking Light for dates.

Good for Liam to remain loyal!!! The Cows thank you!
Jill

Connie and John said...

How great is this!!! Dates, olives and milk - what more can you ask for? Liam and Brady, you guys look like you are having a great time in your new home. Ang, I love the farm girl in you, no matter what country! I want to know how you put up dates, do you need jars or just ziplocs? Christina, it sounds like you have everything in good order already. Did you ever get to the restaurant yesterday? Where are camel utters? I don't think I have ever seen any - just humps!
Keep the blogs coming to the USA from the UAE. I love them!