Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Arrival Report, by: Angie Brady (i.e. Grandma Brady, Christina's Mom)

We arrived last night on time at 10:00 U.A.E. time. Getting through customs with the customs assistant was easy. The limo service that was canceled by Christina showed up to pick us up. Good thing. The two limos were loaded with luggage before we were in contact with Christina. She was waiting at another location for us. After all the confusion we were on our way...two limos loaded with luggage and Me. Christina's newly rented car loaded with the most precious cargo...Brady & Liam. It took a very long time to get home because the limo drivers did not know how to get to Christina's house in Sharjha. They kept pulling off the road and stopping to make a cell phone call to Christina. When they did that, she had to pull off and talk to them and then she became confused about the correct roads to take home also. Street signs are just starting to be used in the U.A.E. so most streets are not identified with signs. Finally, we made it home after midnight. We all enjoyed dates off the date palm in the front yard, took a tour of the house and went to bed. I noticed that I had a room mate before I went to sleep. There was a little lizard at the top of the wall next to the ceiling...too high to do anything about. Lizards are good for catching insects so I guess he's a good room mate to have.
I woke Brady & Liam at noon today.... a little tired. Christina had set an alarm for me to get up at 9:45 because the internet company was coming at 10 and the cable guys were coming at 10:30. The alarm clock malfunctioned and I woke to the door bell (gate) ringing. I let the internet guys in in my pajamas. They said that they would come back. Of course I said that they could stay...One can hardly live without the internet these days.
My first impression is very favorable. The house is beautiful, the limo drivers, cable & internet guys all very nice people. The men workers at the airport look very handsome with their white gowns and head pieces. The women at the airport all had their heads covered but were obviously well manicured with make-up, bracelets, waxed eyebrows, polished nails, and glitter at the edges of their head coverings.
I glanced through the Dubai traveler book and could see that there is much to do and see here. Parks, Museums, Beaches.....And oh my gosh.....the shopping! Don't get nervous Bernie.
It is very hot here today. An hour before we landed at 9 pm. it was still 110 degrees in Dubai. It was 102 when we landed. There were water misters at the airport that you pass through while walking to the exit. I'm not sure that they do any good.We are staying in the house today doing a slow recovery after the long journey. The boys did great! Eating was the biggest challenge on the plane. Every time I tried to help Brady with his food some spilled on him. Fluids were spilled at every meal.The tight quarters on the plane are very difficult for kids for eating as well as their grandmas. That's it for now.

4 comments:

Jill Swick said...

Angie:
Glad to hear someone is observing the most important thing- shopping!!! Make sure you remember to get Ann and I our loot:) We can't wait to see Rosie and Billy next week!
Christina: Now that you have internet at the house we have to get the web camera's going! Billy, Ann and I tested it out yesterday. It was funny! MSN Messenger or Yahoo Messenger are two good services which should not be blocked.
Brady and Liam: We miss you guys and Gavin and Kennedy say to send postcards! Don't forget about Flat Stanley for me!!!

Also- watch your mail... You never know what might show up these days... BTW- what's the address at the house????

XOXOXO Aunt Bunny!

Connie and John said...

Hi Ang - it sounds like you are having an interesting time. I wish I could experience this with you! I know we would be chuckling about alot of things as we usually do. Keep us posted on what you are doing everyday. I don't have a web cam, but I think I am going to buy one and figure out how to hook it up. I may need to commission Janell for some direction. I can't get used to the time difference. I know you are 9 hrs ahead, so you are probably deep in sleep as I write this. Have fun when you get up and feed the lizards - they will keep the bugs away. Looking forward to the updates. Love, Connie

Ann Howicz said...

Angie-
Sounds like you've had quite adventure! I am glad to hear you are there safe and sound. Keep the stories coming! I love it.

Christina-
Keep your shopping karma out. Ya know we love to hear about the deals, darling!

Brady and Liam-
Jill and I miss you guys. I can't wait to hear about your adventures and your new school.

Miss you all.
Ann

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie, Diane Kalec here in Thomson, IL. I love reading the blog of the Watts family. I hope you enjoy your stay there, I envy you. Just wanted to say Hi and let you know how much I enjoy reading the blogs.
Diane