Sunday, August 3, 2008

Smooth Arrival




I am awake at 5am due to jetlag, there is no CNN on TV and the only English language channels are BBC news and cartoons. So I thought I'd put down a few thoughts on my first 24 hours in the UAE.

Safe Arrival? I arrived safe and on time, but one of my five bags did not make it. (My and billy's bikes DID make it!!) I was met by an immigration helper, who was paid by my employer to 'fast track' me through security and immigration - I don't know the cost of this, but I'm planning to hire the service for my mom, Billy and the kids so when they arrive after 24 hours of travel, they can jump the lines too. Please don't remind me that I thought the same kind of line-jumping for a 15 dollar VIP fee at Six Flags was obnoxious.

The airport seemed modern but heavily used, and I was surprised at the crowds and disorder as I collected my bags close to midnight. Once the immigration gal connected me with the Hotel bus driver, I was led (with the help of a porter) across a busy pickup area where at least 300 drivers and greeters waving name cards and hotel signs, hanging out under rows of mist blowers, clogged the way. We crossed a street, went up a giant elevator, across a bridge, then down another elevator to the parking area, where a hotel van was waiting.

Hot?
Yesterday it felt like 100 degrees and 100% humidity - only a little more uncomfortable than Chicago the day before. My linen shirt stayed clammy all day.

Skype? Due to the telecom monopoly here, Skype is banned, so our planned mode of video chat with our family and pals in the US is not an option. I'll probably be able to get Skype at the office, but unreliably. So, we're going to try MSN instant messenger - it is not yet banned.

Cell phone? Not yet. I upgraded our cell phone for local use at the mall kiosk for Etisalat, the state telecom, but now that I'm back at the hotel, I can't figure out the security code on the phone. I'll be going back to the kiosk tomorrow.

What does it look like here? Hazy with dust and sand and new construction, highrises and half-finished buildings next to empty lots with big piles of sand, and of course plenty of palm trees.

New house? Our housing seems awesome. I've been shown a villa by the University housing officer and it's fancy (pictured above). It's basically a large two-story townhome connnected to an identical one and surrounded by a stucco wall. There are four giant bedrooms, big kitchen, dining and living rooms, four full baths, separate maid's quarters, a fat date palm tree in the yard - (yes I ate one, it was delicious), and gated yard and driveway. There's a playground near by, but I have to show my work visa and passport to get a park permit for our family. Seems strange to have such controls over a public park. Maybe it's actually not public.

Food? I've been served olives with every meal so far.

Next few days?
I'll stay in the hotel for another few days until the cable and internet are turned on at the villa. In the meantime, I have to shop for a stove and fridge, washer, dryer, microwave and beds. Apparently fancy villas come totally unfurnished.

2 comments:

Jill Swick said...

The date tree sounds good. Do you have to show your visa and passport to pick? How is the air con. Ann says the weather report is censored to say 95 and humid every day. How funny is that? Glad to hear the new digs are good. Hopefully you will get a good selection of appliances. Has Home Depot or WalMart found their way there yet???
XO- Jill

Sarah said...

Your house looks awesome! I'm glad I got to see you before you left. I took the boys to a baseball game yesterday. I believe they had tons of fun, wait until Brady shows you his t-shirt from the game.