Saturday, August 30, 2008

Mostly Pictures Here, and the Skinny on Booze






Hello All,
If you've asked for more photos, we've got some here:
Brady & Liam's new school bus, which has drop down DVD machines
(we are currently on the wait list for bus service)
Liam in kitchen
Catholic church in Sharjah, St. Michael's
Shop signs with Arabic
Ski Dubai (we went just to look and gather info., will actually ski some time soon)
Lebanese restaurant overlooking Ski Dubai
Mall of the Emirates (they claim it's the biggest in the world)
Burj Al Arab - famous sail-shaped building in Dubai
Hotel on the Palm Jumeira (famous palm shaped island in the Gulf)

As for your questions about alcohol, it is true that there are no bars or liquor stores in Sharjah where we live. But imagine Louisville, Colorado, 12 miles from Boulder, and that's our relationship with Dubai, where there are many bars and hotel restaurants serving from fully stocked bars. We also can get a personal alcohol license to purchase alcohol from a state-run store in Dubai, for consumption in our homes. However, this is not available until October, when the Ramadan fasting period is over.

Enjoy the pics from Grandma's camera, and I'll write more soon when I've gotten over the inconvenient cold that's currently wearing me out. By the way, no alcoholic cough remedies here, but I did pick up a completely root-based remedy at the pharmacy which was 100% effective for my cough.

4 comments:

Connie and John said...

Hi Christina, sorry to hear you are a little under the weather. I hope that remedy works for you. I enjoyed the pictures - I wish I could help you out with posting them, but you will have to go to the powers above...like Janell or Billy. I knew my girlfriend would find the Catholic church! Tell her I want to see a picture of her in the local garb. I look forward to all of the postings and enjoy everyone's take on the experiences. Does the web cam think work. John and I want to get one if it does. Love, Connie

EVIE said...

Hi, having problems with this account. will try again. Love, EVIE

EVIE said...

Hi All, Looks like now I am in contact with this google account. Christina, I love your updates. Hope you feel better soon. It is great that Angie is out there scouting around. Who knows, when any of us might show up. Love, EVIE

dougyj said...

First week of Ramadan-Hooray!!! Enjoy the festivities